MEC Goal & Key Objectives
Through complementary education systems, provide the hardest-to-reach children with good quality, accredited education and contribute to a coherent, inclusive national system.
MEC’s 2017-2020 Program Strategy sets forward two key objectives:
- Objective 1: To strengthen selected complementary education service providers to deliver quality education services that enable students to achieve improved, accredited learning outcomes.
- Objective 2: To support the transition to a more enabling policy environment that brings together a broad base of education stakeholders to promote a diverse and inclusive national education system.
- Complementary Education System Strengthening:
We work to strengthen selected complementary education service providers to deliver quality education services that enable students to achieve improved, accredited learning outcomes. To enable this, we provide substantive technical and financial support to a group of complementary education systems, supporting children within ethnic and monastic based education programmes.
- Fostering an Enabling Policy Environment for Complementary Education:
We work to promote professional and evidence-based policy dialogue that will lead to positive engagement and coalition-building between complementary and government systems of education. We advocate for all children’s rights to access quality, recognised education, in a diverse and inclusive national education system.
- Strengthening Mother-Tongue Based Multilingual Education (MTB-MLE):
Through Broad-Based Capacity Development (BBCD) support, we work with ethnic basic education providers to help them better understand and implement strong MTB-MLE programmes in their schools with an aim of improving the quality of teaching and student acquisition of lifelong literacy skills. By supporting children to learn through this MTB-MLE approach, we expect children to learn and perform better.
- Myanmar Education Partnerships Project (MEPP):
In collaboration with the World Bank, we support Covenant Consultant to to facilitate, advise and support the development of partnerships for collaboration between the Ministry of Education (MoE) and Ethnic Basic Education Providers (EBEPs). We aim to support relationship-building through inclusive, participatory and conflict-sensitive meetings and dialogue, and facilitate and formalize increased coordination and cooperation.